About Our School
The Paul A. Dever Elementary School is currently in its third year of turnaround under the management of Blueprint Schools Network, a Massachusetts-based non-profit organization that works with schools around the country to support the implementation of five core research-based strategies for school improvement:
- Ensuring every student has an excellent teacher and a school leader committed to their success;
- Setting clear, consistent standards for academic achievement and establishing a school-wide focus on preparing all students for college;
- Increasing instructional time;
- Providing daily, small group tutoring and intervention to students using highly qualified and well-trained instructors; and
- Collecting assessment data frequently to monitor each student’s academic progress and tailor instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
Blueprint Schools Network works to ensure these five core strategies are implemented faithfully, consistently, and with high quality at Dever in order to provide an excellent education to all students who attend.
Dever serves families from diverse cultural, economic, and linguistic backgrounds. We believe all students deserve access to a world-class education that will allow them to excel in college, careers, and beyond. As part of our turnaround efforts, the Dever team is creating a safe, collaborative atmosphere where students, staff, parents, and the community are respected, appreciated, encouraged, and supported. We have a talented team of teachers and leaders who are committed to providing individualized support to meet the diverse learning needs of our students. We maintain a culture of high expectations for academic excellence, and we aim to see all students reach their full potential.
What makes our school special:
- A talented and dedicated staff
- A culture of high expectations and a shared belief that all students can be successful
- 1:1 Student-to-Laptop ratio
- Specialists in Art, Music, Physical Education, Technology, and Spanish
- Math Fellows Program provides small group tutoring and support
- Extended learning time
- Full-time nursing services
- Partnership with several therapeutic programs providing social-emotional supports and mental health counseling
- Strong community connections with Harbor Point Development
- Universal free breakfast, lunch, and snack program
- K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to the McCormack Middle School
Our partners include:
The Achievement Network, Boys and Girls Club, Big Sister, Generations Inc., Harbor Point, Home for Little Wanderers, Jumpstart, Playworks, Trinity Church, Wediko Children’s Service, and more.
Extended learning time in our building:
We offer an extended school day for all students from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and have a partnership with the Boys' and Girls' Club of Dorchester (Walter Denney Youth Center), which serves as an afterschool program for Dever's students, located down the street from the school.